Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Snap-shot.

Snap-shot : An informal photograph taken quickly, typically with a hand held camera.

My house is strewn with " snap-shots ", of me, my parents, my aunts, my uncles, my cousins and their cousins, random people i don't know. Snap-shots of weddings, of birthdays, of naming ceremonies, of honeymoons and picnics. At times just of flowers or valleys. In short snap-shots of everything and every occurrence that a normal human life consists of.

Their must be over a thousand of them in my house. Usually, they are all kept neatly stacked in drawers, the reason for them being out is my Father's insistence of scanning each one of them since they have started to fade a little, especially the ones from his childhood days.

Snap-shots are memory preservers. The moment you see an old photograph, you are instantly taken back in time to when it was being clicked. And then you remember when and where it was clicked, and instantly you start narrating the incident related to the photograph to whoever will listen to you. They are great conversation starters i must say. For example, just the other day I was at my aunts place to pick up a couple of pictures for scanning that she has, and we were looking through them all and she had so much to say about them. Each photograph had a different story.

There are so many emotions different emotions that looking at photographs bring about. At times an elated smile or a joyous laugh. At times the feeling of loss when you come across a picture of one who is no more. So many emotions, so many memories. All definitely worth preserving.

I am glad my Father thought of scanning them so as to preserve them. For, it would be an utter shame to loose them to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment